Thursday 9 August 2007

Frustrating two days

The last two days have been sooo frustrating.

Yesterday I was ready to scream. Ten wasted hours driving to and sitting at a station waiting for two witnesses to turn up. But they didn't.

The first because he couldn't be bothered, To turn up or to ring me to cancel. Even though I asked him to as I was so busy, so I could then offer the slot to someone else. But that didn't bother him.

The second who asked me to ring him with confirmation of the start time, so I did. Twice. But he decided he didn't want to take the calls because they showed 'private number' calling. Then didn't turn up at the aranged time. So I phoned him to find out why. And got told off because I was supposed to ring him - huh?? His comment 'Oh was that you ringing me?' So he said he would be there in 1/2 hour but two hours later he still hadn't showed. Or phoned me.

What a complete and utter waste of my time. And worse, two other jobs could have been done instead. Two other people could have had the chance to put together a composite of their attacker. But no, because two witnesses were too selfish and inconsiderate and totally happy to waste police time. And we are constantly slated by the public and media for not providing a good service!

Then today. Nine hours to get a composite because my lovely witness could not speak, or hear, or read, or write. Never been to school, only a very basic knowledge of sign language. This was probably the hardest job I have done. The witness was brilliant, as was my interpreter and video controller. Everyone so patient. But at the end of the day, how do you get past the hurdle of someone who has no concept of nationality? No concept of age? And this was just the beginning. But she kept on trying, working hard all that time, so hopefully we have something that might just work. Might just identify her attacker. I hope so. If there is any justice to be had.

I was just too tired to even think of scrapbooking tonight. Well I thought of it but I didn't do anything. Maybe tomorrow. Or the weekend. It is the Ickenham Crop on Sunday and I am so looking forward to a relaxing day. Catching up with friends and maybe even a page or two! Maybe....

On a happier note. My baby is coming home tomorrow! It has been a long two weeks without her around but she will be back home by 9.30pm tomorrow and I can't wait! She has spent the last week on work experience at Tameside Hospital under a Consultant who sounds lovely. Happy to include her in ward rounds. Direct questions at her as well as the junior doctors there. Ask her opinion and listen to her answers. Explain what he is looking for when seeing patients in his clinics. Ask her to 'diagnose' symptons. OK, she won't know but she has listened to his previous descriptions and has felt confident enough to offer an opinion. What a lovely guy to make her feel valued in that way. Suggestions on what to research in the medical library, to compliment what she has seen. All to give her an edge over other applicants if she is offered interviews when she eventually applies to the various Universities.

So far we are looking at Manchester, Liverpool, Brighton, Bristol, Keele, Nottingham and possibly Aberdeen. We have a busy few weeks ahead of us with visits!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Blimey, Anne, you're going to be run off your feet checking out all those universities! All the best to Holly with it - sounds like she had a great experience at the hospital.